Wednesday, January 13, 2016

RIP Bella, the love of a dog; a dog of love

I can still see that moment; me walking Mr Confident, a week or so out of the shelter, strutting his stuff through the neighborhood, proudly showing off his human(s)
She was a yellow fluff-ball, who would walk 10 or 15 yards and then lie down.
He was so thrilled to meet a new friend and she immediately went belly up as he approached. Something canine occurred and she responded to him, not with fear but with relief; he was her protector.
Just babies

That never changed.
Her owners and I scheduled regular playdates and walks; she would walk with him, but without him, she'd lie down regularly.
We learned early on that the roles were reversed in water, being a golden, in the water she was a natural swimmer, and it was Bugsy that would stand chest deep and whine as she swam off to retrieve the toy.

On the play-dates I'd bring bones for them and she'd eat both of them and he was OK with that, she could have whatever she wanted.
Bugsy and Bella even had a wedding
So many wonderful smiles
So much love

In the last few months Bella's owner & I have talked about how they were both declining. It's inevitable and for her, she'd owned goldens for ages and knew their health issues, for me I have this over-sized mutt who's had a zillion health issues since puppyhood.
We brought them together a few weeks back and watched them play but mostly both dogs boldly stole food off the patio table as if saying, "ah yea, we know the rules, but we are too old to care"
12/2015
Sweet Bella, my heart breaks, for your family and for my Bugsy. I am not sure how he'll know or when he'll know, but I do know that he'll cry and whine when we pass your house as he always has.
And he'll do his best to drag me to the back fence to let him in.
Your beautiful smile will be missed.
You were loved and you loved.

So much is said in this photo, 2007
Here they are in 2010, pure joy


Bella, you are already missed. Thank you for being my Bugsy's girl, for being my sweet girl, and for all the smiles. Swim free and fast. Catch that pesky squirrel. Eat all the pub cheese. Steal Bugsy's bones and kiss your beautiful girls.
He'll meet you again.


1 comment:

AnnieT said...

My heart is with Bella's people, you & Bugs. Run & swim freely, sweet girl!