Monday, August 1, 2011

when did he develop self control?

We are having work done in the house, significant work, week two of various workmen coming in and out all day long.
Bugsy's behavior has been exemplar. I can hardly believe it LOL
He just hangs out in our TV room behind the baby gate and watches them go in and out of our bedroom at the other end of the hall.
At lunchtime I grab a leash and leash walk him down the stairs (that are covered in plastic) and into the kitchen. At that point I can drop the leash and he just hangs out with me as the men continue to go in and out the front door & work in the driveway. It's open plan so he could go say hi but if I see him consider it I just say no.
"OK Mom"
Whose dog is this?
By evening time he's more apt to need close monitoring as he really, really wants to say hi and only the contractor feels comfortable with the beast. Tonight he did pop up when today's main worker entered the front door and I had to say NO really quickly. The guy looked terrified, meanwhile Bugsy's tail was wagging and he had a mouthful of three rubber bones.
Anyway he's being super cooperative and well behaved and the self-control he is exhibiting is beyond any previous display.
I suppose many of you own dogs with a good level of self control but it isn't one of Bug's strengths.
I'm so pleased with him.
He even left a box turtle alone yesterday when I asked him to.
Remarkable
Always full of surprises :)

No comments: