Thursday, July 28, 2011

"I knew I wasn't sick" claims Bugsy

So after 10 days of a wild emotional ride, the lump that was removed was a pseudo-tumor.
Really.
The belief is that he had a focal trauma to the tuber ischii and an inflammatory response set off the process that created this 'very good at pretending to be cancer' tumor.
The vets were stunned as they felt that from what they saw during surgery and the characteristics of the tumor that this was going to be exceptionally bad news.

I cried. I sobbed. I screamed. And I laughed as Beastie just kept zooming.
Despite three layers of sutures including a dozen or so staples in his butt he really didn't seem to care, he just wanted life as normal.

Why aren't we going for a walk? How come no swimming? I miss my buddies!

My husband and I talked about what we would do if the worst case scenario played out.
For 8 of the 10 days I felt captive.
I was waiting to find out if my boy was in danger and if so how much.
I focused on the wound site and giving meds.
I photographed him and video'd him. If he was leaving me soon I needed documentation of my gorgeous, playful, nutty beast.
And then nearly a week after the surgery I had had enough waiting. I picked up the phone and called to find out what was happening.
Unfortunately my bravery went unrewarded as they didn't know anything yet.
But something important happened as instead of being a passive spectator I took charge of my and his destiny. Emotionally I was ready for whatever we were to find out.
But then the call came and it was this psuedo- tumor.
Pure craziness!
I admit that part of me wonders if it can really be true.
We are still trying to get the wound to close for good and the anti-biotics hit his GI system hard, so we are still working our way to pre-surgical health.
I sure hope that once we do achieve the above, it is the last of it. I realize that it is a bizarre diagnosis and we truly dodged a bullet. I am tremendously thankful.
Even if part of me still wonders.
Bugsy is a special dog, not just because he is mine. The outpouring of affection was incredible and I am sure that God was listening.
Thank you God, I love the silly Beast.....and so do many others!

No comments: