Monday, January 14, 2013

How to catch a mole (vole or shrew) by Bugsy Lee

I have a bit of a knack for catching moles (some people call them shrews or voles. It doesn't matter to me what you call them).
We have a lot of these little critters around here and I have permission from MANY neighbors to go ahead and dig them up if I like.
Apparently some dogs aren't really too good at digging them up so I thought I would help by showing you how its done.
Today my mom took me to the woods. She calls it our secret place because after going through the field we get to the woods and then you get to the LAKE!!
So much fun. So many critters. So much poop!
Sorry I digress.

OK so first you might just be trotting
photo taken at 9:00:19


Then suddenly you hear something so you stop in your tracks, tilt your head and listen.
Last step put your nose to the ground, sniff but not too loud!!
photo taken at 9:00:44




Yup its in there.
Then very quickly rip up the ground with a front paw while burrowing your nose
Photo taken at 9:00:44 (yes really same second, I told you BE fast!)




Lastly pull the mole from the ground and kill it. In this photo I haven't finished him or her off yet but don't worry. I did. Mom said no one really needed to see it afterwards. Personally I bet you do want to see it. It was very clean. Ok it was covered in dog slobber but I AM a dog!
Photo taken at 9:00:52






No comments: