Monday, March 11, 2013

Bugsy, Bugsy, Bugsy

Well the saga continues.
Saturday - the day after our last post - he woke up in terrible shape. In fact he was stuck in his crate and unable to get up and out.
At first he had this look of "I had an accident" or something but I found no accident. Eventually I saw that the IV leg was bigger than ever.
In a heated exchange with Steve we did manage to get him down the stairs without anyone incurring a broken limb or bloody nose :)
We were off to the vet soon after and we added more rimadyl and an antibiotic to the mix.
Bugsy attempted to give a vigorous hello to a 140lb malamute while there, but the malamute wasn't as pleased with being at the vet as Bugsy. So he tried to eat Bugsy,  Bugsy just sort of rolled his eyes and gave the "gosh no need to be nasty" wiggle.
This provided the vet techs with quite a chuckle.
I was just amazed that he remained in such good spirits.
Anyway the swelling has decreased - although far from normal - and I suppose the rimadyl is helping with the pain.
We still don't have real answers. Is it because something went wrong when they took the IV out? Is he allergic to something? Is there something in there?
I fear we may never know.

What I do know is his special resolve and personality are shining on throughout all of this.
Yesterday he got to see his first love and was sooooo happy and goofy and so Bugsy. The family of the other dog just shook their heads, just Bugsy they said.

He saw a couple of neighbors today and was wiggly, playful and soooo happy. They too shook their heads in disbelief and admiration.

My Bugsy. I don't know how he does it.
I went for a walk and when I got home he was super wiggly, requisite toys in his mouth, so we went into the yard and he pranced as best he could and did all his silly things. I can't help but smile and in weak moments I want to cry.
Once inside he decided to do his signature rolling/flopping and when I went to rub his belly he took off and did inside zoomies as I watched in horror. And delight.
Can you imagine being so happy you need to run around like a fool with 2.5 out of your 4 legs?
When he finally stopped zooming he was pouncing on toys, flinging his kong and completely ridiculous.

Shortly after, Steve came home and he went racing out to greet him, realized he had no toy in his mouth, came flying back in, leaping past the brick steps from the garage to the kitchen, sliding across the slick kitchen floor, pounced on the kong, which made it fly through the air, he caught it while airborne, ran back out leaping over the steps again, sliding across the slick garage floor and attempting to bait Steve into doing zoomies with him.
I was shouting Bugsy NO! Steve was afraid to move too quickly as to not encourage him.
Then we both just smiled.

Steve said, "indefatigable" I thought "indomitable"

Whichever you choose he defines it.

PS I know that there are other dogs that are the same way, it is unique to dogs in my opinion and a huge reason I love all of them so much. I am very fortunate to be owned by a very large dog with an even larger personality and spirit.

Now if I could just get him healthy..........................

No comments: