Friday, March 8, 2013

The indomitable Bugsy Lee

Incredible.
Some of his followers know that poor Bugsy has been dealing with a front leg lameness since early August. We know now that it is the shoulder that is the problem and that he has something called "biceps tenosynovitis"; that we found out in September. We've tried a few of the conservative treatments with zero success, not limited success, ZERO success. Then in early February he was out in the yard with me, 'helping' me feed the birds and decided to do a zoomie.
I mean there should be no surprise that he was going to do a zoomie, so I stood back and was very still, waiting it out. Any movement from me will encourage more zooming. Well he did one figure 8 too many and just stopped and looked at me while holding this poor front leg up off the ground.
My heart sank and I knew we no longer could wait and see. Throughout the whole torn CCL, TPLO and rehab he never held his leg up.
From August all the way until that moment he never held that leg up.
This was bad.
And yet he stood there, on three legs, with a confused look on his face but with his tail wagging.
Indomitable.

Within 24 hours he was back out running a zoomie on three legs. Really. I mean he let this leg touch the ground but it wasn't being used. But by golly he was going to zoom.
The boy needs to zoom.

Since then we've had one screw up after another in our attempts to get some relief and healing.
My vet wanted me to let him do a cortisone shot in the joint and take decent xrays. The shot should have reduced his pain.
It didn't, if anything he was in more pain. This worse pain wore off after about a week and he had a few days that were slightly better.
We had scheduled an arthroscopic procedure but had to delay it becuase the immune system was depressed by the kenalog shot.
So finally about a month after becoming 3 legged I drove him down to the vet to have the arthroscopic procedure.
It was hard to hand him off to an unknown vet, away from home. But I did. I was sure this was the only way he'd become pain free.
About an hour after I dropped him off the vet rang me. They had prepped him for surgery and put him under, they booted up their machine and the monitor blew. Surgery was cancelled.
After recovering, I killed a bit more time and went to pick him up.
Zowie he was out of it and shaved and freaked out. What a nightmare.
I drove him back to Raleigh and listened to him 'talking' from the drugs.
I also noted that his IV leg was kind of swollen.
The next morning he was feeling much better but the IV leg was huge.
Sigh. This poor dog. He was reacting to something about the IV.
By late afternoon we were back at the vet.
He was being poked and prodded, blood collected and looking at me like WTF??
So now what?
The swelling in his leg is slowly reducing but its taking its time.
I can't reschedule surgery until it is back to normal and it would sure be nice to know what he reacted to.
I would love to not have to do the surgery, but I don't seen another option.

So my sweet and nutty boy is now half shaved, still can't use his front left leg and has a very swollen right front leg.
He's been through hell over the last two months and must think every car ride finishes at the vet where they hurt you.
But what is he like?
Well he's happy, sweet, kissed the vets yesterday as they were assessing him and taking his blood.
He's up to his usual antics and trying to do crazy runs and his post poop posturing.
He's just Bugsy.
He's eating and drinking, pooping and peeing. Begging for treats, tearing up toys and loving anyone who will let him.
The indomitable Bugsy Lee.
I know he's in my life for a reason. And surely its not so I can learn more about veterinary science than any lay person should know.

He has the key to life in his soul. He is going to do his thing regardless of his physical condition.
He is going to love you and be joyful and playful.
And by golly he is going to run zoomies.
God bless you Bugsy.
I don't know whether to laugh or cry, but I do thank you for picking me to be your human.

No comments: