Monday, June 22, 2015

The new normal

Well it's been weeks of short walks and no squirrel chasing and the right rear lameness is no better really
Sure he isn't in screaming pain, but it is significant.
He rarely puts full weight on that leg, he has figured out how to run down the stairs while still protecting it.
Protecting it has put lots more wear and tear on his bad shoulder so now he is limping front and back.
Rimadyl and a Pepcid are every other day treats.
We swim 1-2x a week and he is physically a mess the day after.

We walk at 5 during the week, which he is so excited to do but is so hard on him.
I was walking him this morning, trying to smile as he, with his crooked gait, made his way down the street, working hard to trot because he hasn't ever thought walking was an option.
I stand and wait while he sniffs and investigates. I worry about how late it's getting and I stop myself because I think, "this is his activity for the day"
We have been mired in 100* weather so there are no other opportunities for fun outside until the next morning.
There isn't much training I can do with him inside as he still gets so hyper that he is a danger to himself.
I teared up this morning as I thought about my happy, vibrant boy who is trapped in a body that is failing him.
He has so much drive still, it's what allows him to do what he does.
The pain must still be severe, you only need to observe him to notice.

His nose and paws remain irritated, nothing helps.
I see hair loss on his tail and near his eyes.

I wish someone could tell me what is wrong with him.
I wish I knew what to test for.

In the meantime, I will walk him at 5am and we'll take as long as we take.
I will take him heron hunting, I mean swimming, at least once per week.

And I will enjoy his new found snuggliness.

No comments: