Saturday, August 20, 2016

Follow the path that lies in front of you (and a huge thank you to all my dog connections!)

Today I did my first transport leg for a rescue organization.
I have wanted to this for years but my life and the path never collided. 
This time it did.


The texts had started early, telling of her progress, so my mind was on this all day long.

It is a simple task but it feels important. Just meet one person/car and drive to somewhere to hand the dog to another person/car.  
But it FEELS good!

I discovered it was a puppy and only 25lbs so I ran out to buy a crate for safety.   And I bought a couple of cute collars and a leash.............and a cute pink bag to put it all in. And treats.

I packed toys, water, a bowl, secured the crate in my very suitable car, added some cushioning and hurtled down I-95 to meet the previous transporter.

As I prepped , I had a quick question of crate size; I reached out to my Facebook friends. As I tagged people in the post I had to start laughing because it would have been easier to add everyone and just untag a few people.
Over my 10+ years of Bugsy ownership (er, management) I have connected with extraordinary people. 
"dog people"

My experience of adopting Bugsy from our SPCA turned me into an advocate and fundraiser for the SPCA
My experience of owning the devil in black/brown fur brought me to many - MANY - of you for help.
By knowing you, I met other people who did great things for dogs in need.
Each of you prepared me for today. 

Today one friend quipped I was, "the best prepared transporter ever"
Damn that made me smile - you all taught me good.
I can't list all of you as I would forget someone for sure. 
I hate when folks say, "you know who you are", but you do.

You taught me to open my heart.
You taught me how important this is.
This being anything you can do to help.

The dog community is a community of big-hearted people who step up. Proud to have joined you.
Thanks for grooming me.

The other day I shared this:

Time is the most valuable thing a person can spend. -Theophrastus

Very true.

It is also the thing that when you spend it, you get the best reward.

So a heart felt thank you to each of you, you do know who you are.
I promise to keep following the path that unfolds 



1 comment:

Chris Buckley said...

K. What a great story, (as per usual) this wonderful little dog will definitely benefit from the short time in your company.