Thursday, August 4, 2016

I take my chances

Weeks away from the day we'll celebrate his 11th birthday, he and I went for a hike today.
Great park in the middle of North Carolina that promised mountains (albeit short ones) and a big river. (Morrow Mountain State Park)
The weather was about as good as you can ask for in August in NC; overcast, humid, but reasonable temps (77 at the start and 88 when we finished).

No need for a blow by blow of the day - it is all bittersweet at this point. He's been struggling all summer and other than "he's old" we don't have much to understand why. His one rear leg is bothering him and we attribute it to arthritis from the knee repair.
This means that we didn't hike miles and miles, just a few. One mountain trail and one by the river. We both enjoyed ourselves.

Although much has changed in his 11 years, one thing has not: the Beast only knows how to trot at a mighty clip. Apparently walking just isn't part of his makeup.
Today's mountain trail was covered in slices of rock - I don't think it was shale but it reminded me of shale in that it was sharp shards. I worried about his paws as he trotted and at times slipped as the gravel moved under his feet.  He never slowed, worried or seemed to notice.
Another habit that has been a constant is to walk on the very edge of mountain trails so that one wrong move and you're off the trail and on a descent.
Concerned about his less agile creaky joints I tried to move him away from the edge.


Nope not going to happen.
Each time the scree moved under his feet my heart jumped.
He survived, my heart survived and this song kept running through my head.
Definitely a theme song for him. "I Take My Chances"


So great to take a road trip and be on the trails again with my buddy, his desire hasn't faded one bit, but his body has.  
All part of the life cycle and I am so very lucky to have him and be able to do what we did today. 
I admit it's hard to see him work so hard to achieve what his heart wants to do though.



No comments: