Tuesday, August 4, 2009

My buddy got neutered today

My buddy Campbell got neutered today. I'm not sure what that means my mom says I was neutered when I was 10 weeks old or so, the life of a shelter dog you see. Whatever. I don't know any different.
But Campbell had to wait until he got his heart medicine stabilized and they needed to make a special plan so it was a safe procedure. The good news is everything went very well. We can't play for about 10 days but we've done that before so we'll make it. Ha ha I bet he drives his humans and the dachshunds crazy by this time next week.

What made it especially important he got neutered is because he has a bad heart. Boxers are prone to something called cardiomyopathy and it is important that boxers with it don't breed more boxers with it.
If you have a boxer now you can get them tested to see if they carry the gene for this disease here's more info on that boxer genetic test
Boxers and some other breeds like Dobermans should also get something called Holter tests
Campbell has had two of those tests already, he has to wear a special vest:
Photobucket

We like it when he wears his vest because we have to play when he wears it - the doctors need to see what his heart does when we play.

Most everyone should get their dog spayed (females) or neutered (males) there are way too many dogs in the world, hundreds of thousands of which get euthanized each year.

So save some lives and get your dog fixed. If Campbell can deal with the surgery so can you! You'll be back playing again soon enough!

1 comment:

Campbell said...

Hey Bugsy - I'm up and about now!! Thanks for letting everyone know how important this procedure is. I think it's great cuz I get to sleep downstairs in bed with Mom. The only thing I don't like is when Mom leaves the house - she sticks this big plastic bucket on my head and I can hardly fit through the crate doors. I hate that bucket but then again, I do get some special treats. It seems that everything is a trade off here in this house -

I smelled you today when Mom came home and I went running out the back door to find you - where did you go so fast??? I never saw you - did mom go to YOUR house without me???

Can't wait till 10 days is up - maybe we can hit the beach again. It was alot of fun.

Take care and thanks for thinking of me - you are such a good best friend.

Love, Campbell