Monday, August 3, 2009

Dog days of August

well let me tell you this, whoever called these the 'dog days' of August sure wasn't a dog! Wow is it hot and humid too. Everything is wet and the air is thick. Yuck.
I try to wake my humans up real early so we can exercise before the sun comes up, but they are lazy and sleep all the way until 6:15!!! Whew too hot by then.
It is much better to go to the lake when it is so hot but I need to walk around my neighborhood to check out what is happening too!
I mean I've been walking around here since I was a wee pup, I need to know who has been out and about and what they've been eating, etc.
You understand don't you?
Anyway we do the rounds and today I lucked out and did them once with mom and then again with dad. Zowie this black fur is a bit much in this weather!!

My humans make sure I have nice cool water to drink when I get back and if it is real bad they cool me off with the hose. I pretend I don't like that but I do like being cooler. Sometimes mom takes a wet rag and cools my ears, under my arms, my belly and my paws. Another thing my humans do is wet me down completely before we set off that keeps me cool longer too. Bad thing is when I am so hot, I have to wait ages to get my breakfast so I don't get sick they say.

Just a reminder to all you humans out there if you take your dog out in this weather make it real early or real late.
No full sun for us in the heat. You try it with a fur coat on and tell me how you feel!
If your dog is older or overweight or not 100% healthy cut the walks shorter and may be do two.
Or take us swimming if you can.
Never leave us in a car that isn't running with the AC on - we can die quickly in the car in the sun.
Alright try to stay cool and dream about the nice cool mornings to come!
Photobucket

edit to add this link from Blue Buffalo on keeping your dog cool

edit for another update from Ruff wear

No comments: