Saturday, August 31, 2013

Happy 8th Birthday Bugsy

About 7 years ago I decided that we needed to choose a specific date to celebrate Bugsy's birthday, like shelter dogs everywhere, no one knows when he was born, or to who.  So I thought about it and decided to choose September 1st. September 1st was the birthdate of a colleague of mine's mother. She lived to 101 and was one of the most vibrant, tolerant, energetic, and positive thinking folks I have ever known. It was in the right time frame, so September 1st it is.
Sifting through my emails reminding me to get my senior pet checked, I shake my head and my heart says no!
My happy, crazy, overgrown idiot surely can't be a senior!
Science, however, disagrees. Recently I read a way to calculate his age based on his size and likely breed mix and he's 80+ in human years. I don't actually think Bugsy is going to emotionally age past 25 or so, meaning his older years are bound to be interesting.
He's had knee, elbow and shoulder repair. Cancer scares, horrific allergies and myriad other issues, none of which have changed his joie de vivre. 
This morning he looked right at me, grabbed a clump of dried grass that had fallen off the mower and taunted me, hoping I would chase him.
I just said "drop it" and boom! He was zooming, dodging and charging me, flying over shrubs, figure 8's around trees and playing hide and seek behind the cars.
I recall the days in which I was soooo frustrated when he would do this, now I laugh and smile and am ever so thankful that he can still run like this after what he's been through.
Back when he was barely out of puppyhood I started talking about The Daily Zoomie, here we are age 8 and he's still zooming.
From those early days of hardship in managing him; his energy and drive and intellect, to now when we expect it and appreciate it, and know I wouldn't want a dog without those qualities. 
Countless adventures, I bear physical scars from some, and joyous experiences, he is such a part of OUR lives I try not to think of when he won't be.
So happy birthday Bugsy, thank you for every laugh and every heart attack. 
Thanks for being so damn funny, and so kind (to people and dogs).
Thanks for loving me as much as I love you.
Thanks for teaching me to enjoy every walk, swim, car ride, yard wander, OK everything.
Thanks for showing me true focus and reminding me to live in the moment.
Thanks for being such a willing learner and being tolerant of my mistakes as a trainer.
Mostly, I hope we have plenty of GOOD years left, I selected this day as an omen for a long fun life for you.
You deserve only good times ahead! 
Love you bud!

No comments: