Sunday, June 7, 2009

Goodbye Miss Gwen

I learned last night that the owner of one of Bugsy's playmates had a sudden and fatal recurrence of stomach cancer. It had been a busy month for us here with travel and the never-ending work on the house, still countless afternoons I thought, how unusual that we hadn't seen them in a while. Sometimes we saw each other and let the dogs play weekly, other times it could be a month or more between play dates. I figured she might be traveling as well or was walking even later to avoid the late day heat. I will admit to thinking in the last couple of weeks that I needed to call and check on her. But I didn't really know her that well. That's what I told myself anyway.
We only chatted whilst the dogs played. She was filled with excitement for her impending retirement, so full of plans and looking forward to the freedom and living life as she wanted.
I am filled with grief. And shock. Her energy was such a positive one. Her smile infectious and her love of the dogs unsurpassed. Her dog is an older, grumpy Westie who doesn't really play with any dogs, but he loved to play with Bugsy. She used to say that he would lead her to our house. Sometimes he would give Bugsy the cold shoulder and Bugs would do all that he could to entice him to play. Once Bugsy realized that if he circled and loved on Gwen her dog would become active that was his go to strategy. When I told Gwen that was what he was doing and she saw it she just laughed and laughed. That infectious, joyous laugh.
Gwen, we will miss you. We did before we knew it was permanent. Bugsy looks out for you in the afternoons and I suppose it will take some time before he will cease to do so. Poor Poppet's heart will be broken. Hopefully we will see him again and Bugsy will have the opportunity to help him have fun. We are here for you bud.
Photobucket

Thank you for all the chats, laughs, and sharing your positive outlook on life with us. Thank you for not fearing the big black beast when so many did, even allowing your small dog to play with him, recognizing how big his heart was and that he is an eternal puppy. You enjoyed watching him mature almost as much as we did.

Photobucket

The Rainbow Bridge is reserved for pets, however I know that you are somewhere equally as special. Somewhere that cancer is not recognized.
Godspeed Miss Gwen.
I know your loss is felt by many, you were a wonderful human being. Thanks for being a friend.

1 comment:

Campbell said...

Very touching!! Bugsy, your human has a wonderful way with words. I wish I knew Miss Gwen - I know that Sadie and Samson once had a playdate with Poppy but they all ignored each other! I would have spiced things up for Poppy, I'm sure of that!

See you soon - Love Campbell