Sunday, June 14, 2009

a special race - Race for a Cure, Raleigh

Yesterday my mom woke up real early. Whew I was still sleepy but I have to help her make the coffee and get the newspaper and stuff so I got up too. Then she got into her running clothes and I was HAPPY, I love to run.
You won't believe this next part - she left without me. Went somewhere in the car, with her running stuff on, without ME!
I was pretty down about this turn of events.
She told me it was a special race, one for humans only. Something about a good cause. She seemed kind of sad about this good cause. And she had some pink paper on her back with names on it. Those names made her real sad.
When she got back she told me that 23,000 people were running - that sounds busy! She said there were lots of hills and she missed me because I pull her up the hills some days. Instead she said she thought of the people whose names were on her back and how they had fought cancer and that running up hills in hot humid weather was a lot easier than fighting cancer so she kept running up those hills.
The name of this special race is the Susan G. Komen Race for a Cure. She says next year she is going to make her sisters run it with her. I guess I won't be able to go again but it sounds like it is a good thing for mom to do. I'll have to wake up dad and make him take me somewhere instead.
And she did share a banana with me when she got home, I love bananas!

No comments: