Tuesday, April 16, 2013

If only two brain cells would connect

You all know I love Bugsy. And by and large he is bright canine but there are somethings he just can't seem to get or accept.
One of the things he really struggles with is not being a complete lunatic when going up or down stairs.
So although we would love to not have to gate off the stairs we have no choice.
We've resorted to walking down/up in front of him holding the gate between us and him to prevent him from attempting to charge up the steps launching over two at a time or diving down them only to leap off the 3rd or 4th step, crash landing at the front door.

I mean seriously he cannot seem to do a step at a time unless we dictate it without exception.

Its also quite perplexing why the rickety broken baby gate that he could step over, prevents him from going up or down stairs and keeps him contained in a room. The only thing he fears more than this baby gate is a black snake skin and at least with the snake skin he overcomes his fear and attacks and eats it. (Really, likely the grossest thing outside of cat poop he eats).

Ah well the baby gate works and bless his heart he still has no idea how to walk on stairs or down the block at a normal pace.
One would think after knee, elbow and shoulder surgery he'd think, "perhaps I should take life a bit easier"
Clearly not going to happen, even as he heads into his 8th birthday which unfortunately as an XL 100+lb dog is way, way senior, I struggle to keep up with him as 'I' take him for a walk.

Bugsy, the truth is, I love your style. I still say "slow" and "careful" and you attempt to heed my directions , however, we both know that just ain't the way you live your life.

The day I put the dreaded gate away declaring you able to live life the way you do will be a happy day for both of us. Its only week 3 though Bud.
Five to go :(

Hang in there with me. I am doing all I can to let you do your normal things but I can't let you do the normal nutty things. Trust me. Together we'll get you back to your standard of insanity.

No comments: