Tuesday, April 30, 2013

Oh he's walking, yes indeed, he's walkin'

It was five weeks ago today I set off at 5 am to bring Bugsy to Charlottesville for his surgery.
In some ways time has moved fast and in other ways it feels slow but regardless of how it feels, day by day we are healing and moving towards a leash-free existence.

He's been adding distance consistently to his walks but honestly the last 1/2 mile or so has been consistently slow.
I can see the change in his gait over that last 1/2 mile which includes two long uphills. That front leg gets weak and tired.

Until today.
Today he did 2.3 miles in just over 32 minutes - which includes loads of sniffing and several poop stops.
The average pace was just under 12 minutes/mile and a fastest pace of 9.5 minutes/mile.
And the very best part?
He never slowed - we were trotting along all the way to the water bowl!

He didn't even seem overly tired once home. I thought he'd flop but no he was following me all over, up and down the stairs, I left for errands and was greeted by a lively, happy boy.

I'm kind of feeling we've turned a corner here folks.
I understand that I now need to up zoomie control as he isn't OK to be as crazy as he's going to try to be but I'm OK with that.
The Beast is healing. I keep saying this, but its true, he amazes me!

Before you know it he'll be back to this:


No comments: