Thursday, January 21, 2010

we got lucky on that one

I took Bugsy to the vet the other day for a few vaccines and for a blood draw to check his thyroid levels, while there I had the vet check his knee, he detected nothing unusual. Whew.
Make that
WHEW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then the vet checked Bugsy out completely. And asked, "how old is he now?"
4.5 years old
"wow he looks great"

Now don't get me wrong I think Bugsy is in decent shape (he was in better shape prior to surgery) but I got the impression that at 4.5 he should be a mess.
Again I know that big dogs age quickly but wow 4.5 seems young to me.
I feel kind of freaked out that his condition would merit that comment. I feel for the other dogs out there who apparently have nasty coats and bad teeth.

So readers take care of your pooches. Check their teeth and give them some nice raw bones to chew to keep their teeth nice and clean. Walk them as much as you can and no fatty treats. Just because your dog is cute when they beg doesn't mean they should get something to eat and it definitely doesn't mean they are starving despite how desperate they look LOL.
Keep your pets lean and fit, check their teeth, keep their nails short. Brush them regularly and make sure you feed them a healthy food.
I'm glad Bugsy 'looks great' but I don't think it should be the exception

No comments: