Monday, November 2, 2009

TPLO is now looming

In just a few short days Mr. Bugsy will be having his surgery.
I have set up 'his room' with his crate and a bed and lots of non-slip rugs. There is a large sofa in there for me to sleep on those first few nights.
We have a ramp for going outside and I am going to create a small outside pen, which will be easier than trying to keep him on leash for 'his business'.
Today I stopped his supplements because some can apparently slow the clotting process.
For the record this boy get fish oil with Vitamin E (if you give the former you must give the latter). He also gets Vitamin A, MSM, glucosamine, Chondroitin, Nutri-joint and sometimes Vit D, acidophilus, Vit C, milk thistle, and coconut oil.
LOL now that I look at it no wonder he is so hearty!
Some of the above we started to deal with his allergies which have become much more moderate since starting thyroid supplementation.

I guess everything is ready. I talk to him each time I see him limp and tell him we are getting it fixed. Although the first weeks will be worse than he is now the idea is that he will be running pain free this summer and beyond.
I am totally committed to taking rehab slowly and getting him back to his full muscular self. I understand that we need to carefully work him so as not to over stress the other leg.

I will try to put some more light-hearted posts on here again, just difficult at the moment. He still makes me laugh each and every day with his fine sense of humor but I find myself feeling sad that it will be a long time until he is 'free' again.
So apologies for he gloominess and I promise to report his progress as well as share our laughs!

No comments: